Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cleared: Overlord

I finally finished the base game of Overlord this weekend. I've been poking at this one for a while and had actually made it all the way to the end boss with one overlord, only to discover I was completely unprepared to face him. The second time around I made use of a couple of items from the Raising Hell expansion pack and it went a lot better. Overlord is a fun game; no two ways about that. Terry Pratchett's daughter, Rhianna Pratchett was the writer for the game, and apparently comedic genius runs in the family, because the game's sense of humor reminded me more than a little of the Discworld novels I've read. My biggest irritations with the game came from the AI (which was bone stupid; minions will go after breakable objects before actual threats - something which I'm convinced the designers actually exploited at least once) and the controls, which were a bit unwieldy in places. However, neither complaint was sufficient to make me not like the game. I still have the expansion on the backlog for the "second ending" but I can call the base game done. I'd also recommend this one upon finishing it. I had a lot of fun, and so did my wife, who watched me play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment