Friday, July 22, 2011

Off the List: Captain America: The First Avenger

I just got back from Captain America: The First Avenger. The film was a LOT of fun. They did an excellent job of staying true to the characters, and the story was great. The action felt solid, and Cap fought like a 1940s brawler rather than a super ninja, which I thought was cool. Ironically, I think this one would have benefited from making the setting a bit less "super," primarily by toning down Hydra's technology. Still, the movie was a lot of fun. One fairly common movie critic's complaint I'd like to address: Captain America is not supposed to be "dark" at all. If you're going to compare him to one of Arthur's knights, he's Sir Galahad. He is noble, righteous, and decent through and through because that's just the way he is. And actually? That's kind of refreshing now and again. I won't spoil it at all, but I will say that if you go see it, make absolutely sure you stick around for the short film after the credits!

No comments:

Post a Comment