Monday, September 5, 2011

Cleared: Tron Legacy

I grabbed Tron from a Redbox on Friday evening on my way back from work and watched it this weekend. There's a lot to like about it. Fist of all, the visual effects were utterly stunning; the movie is gorgeous. The story was pretty solid, too; it definitely makes me want to go back and watch the original again. The acting was also good, but that's not terribly surprising. What I did think was cool was that two characters were portrayed by the same actor, which doesn't often happen, and even more rarely happens in a way that's as impactful (and makes as much sense) as it was done here. Definitely one to catch if you like cyberpunk at all.

RPG notes: The idea of a virtual world that threatens the real one was done particularly well here. I also was somewhat intrigued by the idea that the portal worked both ways. However, instead of trying to go into any real depth on this one, I think I'm going to instead refer any interested parties to Episode 41 of Postcards from the Dungeon. They did a far better job of breaking this one down and discussing its merit as both a piece of media and as a source of gaming inspiration than I could in a short blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment