Monday, June 27, 2011

Off the List: Atom Zombie Smasher

I got Atom Zombie Smasher as part of the same bundle deal that netted me A.R.E.S. and Capsized. It's an indie strategy game that's a sort of modified tower defense kind of thing. Like a lot of tower defense games and tower defense derivatives, the antagonist is a horde of zombies. This game is nice illustration of what's good with indie games: it has solid gameplay and a quirky sense of humor, but the game is tiny and it doesn't lean on other things like graphics or marketing hype to draw people in. It's not a huge, awe-inspiring thing, but there's a decent amount of depth and complexity. In fact, like Hinterland, which I reviewed a while back, it's almost a skirmish game. You can play through a campaign in just a few hours. This is why I try everything I get in bundle packs. Sometimes there's something that wasn't immediately apparent in there that turns out to be really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment