Sunday, January 2, 2011

The List, Part 1. PC Games A-M

7.62 High Calibre: Those who know me or have read the earlier posts on this blog know that I'm a HUGE Jagged Alliance 2 fan. I have it currently installed on the system I'm typing this from, in fact. So it should come as little surprise that I frequent the Bear's Pit, a Jagged Alliance 2 community and modding site. 7.62 High Calibre has been mentioned as a spiritual successor to JA2 over there on the forums, and I was able to pick up up pretty cheaply from GamersGate during their holiday sale.

Avernum 6: I've never played the earlier Avernum games, but the series comes highly recommended by enthusiasts of hardcore/old school CRPGs. Since I'm at least on the fringes of that crowd, I decided to give it a try. I tried the demo and decided to purchase the full game, but I haven't done much with it since.

Baldur's Gate with Tales of the Sword Coast: I've got a copy of Baldur's Gate on CD, but I never picked up the expansion, and while I've played it before, I've never finished it. Since it's considered one of the classics of PC gaming and it was only $7 for me to pull it, the expansion, and assorted other goodies from gog.com, I went for it.

Baldur's Gate II with Throne of Bhaal: I have finished Baldur's Gate II and almost finished the expansion, but not quite. Unlike the first game, I may just use my old install media, provided I can find it and the relevant CD keys. If not, well, there's always gog.com.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 (cleared): As I mentioned in my "cleared" post, I'd never tried a AAA military FPS before. It was cheap, so I did.

Beyond Divinity: The idea of what amounts to a paladin and a blackguard (D&D 3.x reference) chained at the soul and forced to work together is really fascinating to me as a plot device. Now if I could ever find my way out of the initial prison area, I might get some real enjoyment out of this one.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay: I liked the movies and it surprised me by coming free with Dark Athena.

Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena: I liked the movies and have heard this is a kind of cool and distinctive FPS. Once again, I was tempted by a bargain.

Company of Heroes: WWII, while a bit overdone, makes a fantastic playground for video games, and this one also has a lot in common with the Dawn of War series, which I have really, really enjoyed. I've had this forever, but never dug into it that much.

Darksiders: This one caused me some console envy when I saw advertising for it. The game just looked like a TON of fun. Now I've gotten it very cheap and I can attest that it is indeed a ton of fun, though a bit arbitrarily difficult at times. Still, I want to stick this one out to the end; I have a feeling the story's only going to get more entertaining.

Dead Space: I remember when the reviews went around of this one hearing that it was a lot of fun, and it's something a little different, too, so I decided to give it a shot.

Disciples III: Renaissance: I've enjoyed Disciples I and II immensely, and I expect this will be no different.

Divinity II: Ego Draconis: This has got to be one of the most wide-open RPGs I've ever come across as far as player capabilities, and it's got me intrigued for that reason. My in-laws were nice enough to give it to me for Christmas this year, too.

Drakensang: The Dark Eye: This is another hardcore RPG that gets bandied around a bit on the net. I picked it up cheap last year and haven't really done much with it, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Fallout: New Vegas (cleared): I enjoyed Fallout 3 so much this was a no-brainer. 

Fallout Tactics: This is the only Fallout game ever released for the PC that I haven't finished. That needs to be rectified!

F.E.A.R.: A coworker recommended this one to me very highly.

Gears of War: Since the series has been so popular on the consoles, I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about. My problem so far is that the graphics are beyond muddy. Everything is SUCH a uniform shade of grey-brown that it's hard to see enemies. I keep getting whacked in a VERY early part of the game, even on the lowest difficulty setting. I have a feeling if I can ever get the hang of it, it'll be fun, though.

Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes: Another cheap one from the Steam sale, this looks funny and clever.

Hinterland: The idea of creating the town your heroes come from is a pretty novel idea for a fantasy RPG. I think that core concept hooked me more than anything else.

Iron Grip: Warlord: While I may eventually "finish" this one, it's primarily designed with multiplayer in mind. What I will say, though is that it's an AMAZING little game. The combination of FPS and RTS elements are pretty original, and the game play itself is very tight.

Jade Empire: It's a Bioware RPG. That's enough to recommend it. The martial arts styles make for a fun twist on the usual RPG loot collecting, too.

King's Bounty: The Legend I snagged the complete proverbial set (The Legend, Armored Princess, and Crossworlds) and since I've heard such good things, I've decided to give it a shot. 

King's Bounty: Armored Princess/Crossworlds: See above.

Metro 2033: The new Crysis, apparently. Metro 2033 is definitely a pretty game, but it's also a gritty, post-apocalyptic survival shooter with some RPG elements, which is very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment