Monday, January 3, 2011

The List, Part 3: Fiction Books

1984: One of the few "classics" out there that appeals to me. I also think it might be useful in RPG setting design.

American Gods:  Comes highly recommended by several of my friends, and the idea seems neat.

Best Served Cold: I like my fantasy gritty and low-magic sometimes, and this seems about as gritty and low-magic as it gets.

Devil's Rose: I like lawmen in fiction, and the idea of an undead ranger hunting down escaped souls from Hell sounds like a fantastic premise.

Fire Warrior: I've read about halfway into this book once upon a time and stopped. The Tau have always been one of my favorite parts of the Warhammer 40k universe, so I'm looking forward to finishing this one.

Good Omens: Another one I read partway into. I lost the book about halfway in and found it again months later. I remember it being extremely entertaining.

Last Shot: A Jack Reacher novel. I've read at least one of these previous, and he's one of my favorite fictional heroes.

Matthias Thulmann: Witch Hunter: A Warhammer universe story with a Solomon Kane-like lead character. It's three novels in one volume; I've already read one of them.

Neuromancer: One of the formative books of the cyberpunk genre, and highly recommended by my wife.

Night Watch: Sergei Lukyanenko's Watch series is some of the most fascinating and original fantasy I've run across in years. I certainly liked the movie, so I'm going to see if I like the book as much.

Nothing to Lose: Another Jack Reacher story, this one about a corrupt small town. Having lived in fairly small towns all my life, it seemed kinda cool.

Temple: The last of Matthew Reilly's books from his pre-trashing Christianity days.

The Eyes of God: The initial book in a fascinating-looking fantasy trilogy by John Marco. Ran across this one at work and thought I'd give it a try.

The Hero of Ages: Probably the first book I'll clear. (In all likelihood, next week.) It's the final volume in Brandon Sanderson's wonderful Mistborn trilogy.

The Ladies of Grace Adieu: Susannah Clarke's second book. A collection of short stories from the world of her first book, the awe-inspiring Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel.

The Last Wish: The literary basis for The Witcher, one of the games on my list.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress: A libertarian rebellion on a Lunar colony and also one of the great classics of science fiction? Yeah, this one was a no-brainer for the list.

The Protector: A strong recommendation from a coworker.

Up in the Air: The movie looks interesting, but I have a feeling the book is deeper.

Whitechapel Gods: Steam fantasy is a weakness of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment