Sunday, January 2, 2011

The List, Part 2. PC Games N-Z

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer: I think I was one of about eight people who truly loved Neverwinter Nights 2, but I did, dang it. This picks up the story afterward and runs with it to what seem to be some very cool places. I've been put off by the camera controls every time I've tried it, though.


Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir: The "go around trading" premise of this really grabbed me, but those darn camera controls keep getting in the way. I may have to see if I can get a mod that fixes the problem.


Oni: I've had this game since right after it came out, and it's always seemed very cool and slick to me, but I never had sufficient patience to finish it.


Overlord: This cost me all of a $3 on Steam when I bought it, and I got the expansion and sequel included in that price. Also: Terry Pratchett's daughter was involved. How could I pass it up?

Overlord: Raising Hell: The aforementioned expansion pack.


Overlord II: See above.


Planescape: Torment: Another old-school RPG that I've got and have played but never finished.


Prince of Persia: The new one, with the claw gauntlet and female sidekick. The beautiful storybook art drew me to this one.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within: I've played a certain distance into this game but never finished it. However, it appears to not like my current-gen hardware, so I may let this one go.

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones: The bladed whip weapon kinda got my attention here. I don't mind the puzzle platforming, but I really like the combat in games like this.

Section 8: The orbital paratrooper thing seemed very cool to me, and it looks like you've got a decent amount of complexity with which to fiddle eventually. As whouldn't come too unexpectedly from a Jagged Alliance 2 fan, I like complexity.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl: I've played this almost to the end once and I'd really like to finish it. I loved the grittiness and the bleak, post-apocalyptic Russian setting.

STALKER: Clear Sky: The prequel to Shadow of Chernobyl, and appealing for the same reasons.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat: The sequel to Shadow of Chernobyl, and appealing for the same reasons AND because I can't wait to see how they've upgraded the experience with newer tech.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: So many of my fellow geeks have told me, adamantly, that this is a game I need to play for so long, I've finally capitulated. I bought it, it's on the list!

The Ball: I found with Portal that first-person action puzzlers suit me rather well, so I snagged this. Now if I could just stop falling onto those stupid spikes...

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind: From what I gather, this is one of the best CRPGs ever made. I've got an old game of the year set with the expansions around here somewhere. May as well add it to the list.

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion: Since this is basically Fallout 3 with fantasy trappings, it's gotta be at least somewhat enjoyable.

The Scourge Project: I got this as part of a bundle and it looks really cool. Third-person cover shooters can be a blast if well-executed, and the characters are all dripping with personality.

The Void: Got it free with some other stuff I wanted. Weird. I mean really weird. It may not stay on the list too long.

The Witcher: I played into Act II of this a while back and I thought the gritty, realistic fantasy world was something cool and special. It might be time to give it even more of a chance.

UFO: Aftershock: More glorious squad-based, complex strategy. I dual-booted the PC I'm typing this on specifically so I could run it!

UFO: Extraterrestrials: See above, but believe it or not, it's not part of the same series or even from the same developer.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: A unique and different take on the CRPG, this one held my interest for quite a while, but then I lent my copy to a friend who has yet to return it. I'll probably buy it digitally once I'm ready to pick it up again.

Warhammer: Mark of Chaos: I've never been much for Games Workshop's tabletop games, as getting into one costs more than the entire contents of my backlog bought at full price on the day of release and then lots of miniatures painting which I lack the inclination to do, but their IP is great. So I play the PC games based on their stuff. I played a fair way into this one and then had system problems, lost the save game and never got back to it.

Warhammer: Mark of Chaos: Battle March: See above. Expansion pack.

X-Com: Apocalypse: See below.

X-Com: Terror from the Deep: See below.

X-Com: UFO Defense: My failure to play the X-Com series is, as far as I can tell, my greatest failure as a PC gamer. I've heard SO much good stuff about the series that one of these days I'll have to get into it. I have the games but so far the dated graphics and UI have been a barrier. I'll get over that eventually, though, I'm sure. I've done it before.

Zeno Clash: This quirky, trippy first-person beat 'em up got some pretty solid reviews when it first came out, so again spurred by a really good deal, I decided to give it a shot.

Zombie Driver: Every once in a while it's fun to take a break from my more hard-core gaming diet and play a fun little arcade-y game. his scratches that itch nicely.

That's enough blogging for one day, I think. Tomorrow I'll tackle another category of content.

No comments:

Post a Comment